We focus on providing the best solutions to your company to achieve customs efficiency and strategic customs planning opportunities. We specialise in the following areas:
- Customs valuation — advice and planning, ruling application, dispute resolution
- Tariff classification (including AHTN) - advice and planning, ruling application, dispute resolution
- Duty exemption — opportunities identification, options evaluation and application support
- FTAs / preferential tariffs — monitoring, planning, trouble shooting, certificate of origin application support
- Duties drawback and refunds support
- Bonded warehousing, and other duties deferment/suspension facilities — advise, evaluation and application support
- Customs compliance reviews / "Health Checks"
- Post importation audit management and support
- Export controls — policy formulation, process implementation
- Technical training
- Import and export licensing — advise, application support
Classification support in defending its position against a RM2.4 Million retroactive duty claim for a leading automotive parts manufacturer
A tier-one bonded automotive parts manufacturer was served with a RM2.4 Million demand note from the local Malaysia Customs office on grounds that hub bearings delivered to a vehicle assembly plant should have been classified as dutiable car parts.
How we helped
WMS conducted a comprehensive review of the claim and underlying classification rules, including detailed analysis into international and domestic precedents.
The analysis identified:
- Basis of the claim was questionable - it was based on import entries of unprocessed components rather than finished product
- HS classification - the product was classifiable as “bearings” which is exempted from import duty in accordance to classification rules, and not as car parts that attracts 25% duty as claimed by Customs
An appeal to the Customs Appeal Tribunal was filed, along with records that showed that the local Customs office was unable to provide satisfactory explanation within the stipulated time frame.
Under the supervision of the Customs Appeal Tribunal, a mediation “round table” discussion took place with the Customs Headquarters Classification Unit, followed by an amendment to the Classification Ruling issued in favour of the company.
Benefit for the client
RM2.4 Million retrospective claim was revoked, and certainty of hub bearing being treated as duty-free component was assured prospectively.
Production based location study
A US based manufacturing company required support in setting up an ASEAN production base in response to increasing business in Asia, with potential capacity to fulfill its European market orders. Parts were manufactured by both related and unrelated parties in Asia and US.
How we helped
WMS conducted a location feasibility study to determine optimal location and regulatory status for the production footprint.
The study included:
- Duty suspension facilitation and optimised import-export operations
- Regulatory environment comparison and assessment (license and registration requirements)
- Freight options and turnaround time
- FTA application including Malaysia-EU FTA “wish-list” discussion with Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- Consideration of other tax and logistical aspects
Benefit for the client
- Reduction of overall tariff costs
- More efficient supply chain and speed to market leading to better customer satisfaction and market penetration
- Identification of documentation gaps that might have prevented use of Free Trade Agreements